Direct debit is usually cheaper
It’s usually around 7% cheaper than any other way of paying.
Paying by direct debit won’t get you a discount.
But it can be convenient as it allows you to spread the costs.
Is it cheaper to pay for energy monthly or quarterly?
One thing to remember is that both monthly and quarterly direct debit options are common amongst energy customers as they usually result in cheaper energy costs. This is because many providers offer discounts to people who pay via direct debit.
Is it better to pay energy bills by direct debit?
Monthly Direct Debit is a popular way of paying for energy bills, and this is primarily because of the savings energy suppliers often give you for paying by this method. However, the amount you pay for your direct debit isn’t necessarily what you’ll be charged for your month’s energy.
How do direct debits save money?
10 ways you can make Direct Debit savings
- Pay your gas and electric bills via Direct Debit.
- Look for other incentives.
- Spread the payments for free.
- Claim back on any direct debit errors.
- Set up a Direct Debit for a savings plan.
- Use DD to pay off Debts before saving.
- Look for cashback deals and other bank incentives where DDs are used.
- Cancel unwanted DDs.
Does direct debit cost anything?
No. Banks don’t charge you for making or setting up Direct Debits. If you don’t have enough money in your account to cover a Direct Debit your bank can refuse to make the payment and might charge you – typically £5 to £25.